By Jueseppi B.
Dark Shadows is an upcoming fantasy comedy film based on the 1966–1971 gothic soap opera of thesame name. The film is directed by Tim Burton and stars Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins, a 200-year-old vampire, and Michelle Pfeiffer as his cousin Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, a reclusive matriarch of the Collins family. It is scheduled to be released on May 11, 2012 in both conventional and IMAX theaters.
In 1752, the Collins family sails from Liverpool, England to North America. The son, Barnabas, grows up to be a wealthy playboy in Collinsport, Maine and is the master of Collinwood Manor. He breaks the heart of a witch, Angelique Bouchard, who turns him into a vampire and buries him alive. In 1972, Barnabas is accidentally freed from his coffin and returns to find his once-magnificent mansion in ruin. The manor is currently occupied by Barnabas’ dysfunctional descendants, all of whom are hiding dark and horrifying secrets.
- Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins, an 18th century vampire who awakens to the 20th century. Thomas McDonell plays the young version of Barnabas.
- Eva Green as Angelique Bouchard, a vengeful witch who plots a vendetta against Barnabas and his family.
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the family matriarch.
- Jonny Lee Miller as Roger Collins, Elizabeth’s “ne’er-do-well” brother.
- Chloë Moretz as Carolyn Stoddard, Elizabeth’s rebellious teenage daughter.
- Gulliver McGrath as David Collins, Roger’s “precocious” 10-year-old son.
- Helena Bonham Carter as Dr. Julia Hoffman, Elizabeth’s hired live-in psychiatrist.
- Jackie Earle Haley as Willie Loomis, the manor’s caretaker.
- Bella Heathcote as Victoria Winters, David’s governess. Heathcote also plays the role of Josette du Pres.
- Ray Shirley as Mrs. Johnson, the manor’s elderly maid.
- Ivan Kaye as Joshua Collins, the father of Barnabas Collins.
- Alice Cooper as himself.
Veteran actor Christopher Lee, who played Count Dracula in Hammer’s 1958 adaption, was originally announced by Empire Magazine as playing Bill Malloy, “a sort of king of the fishermen who spends a lot of time in the local pub, The Blue Whale.” However, Seth Grahame-Smith later announced via his Twitter that Lee is not portraying Bill Malloy. His role is currently undisclosed.
At the San Diego Comic-Con 2011, it was also confirmed that four actors from the original series will appear in the film. In June 2011, Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby and Kathryn Leigh Scott all spent three days at Pinewood Studios to film cameo appearances. They will all be appearing as party guests during a ball held at Collinwood Manor. Frid passed away on April 13, 2012, making this his final film appearance.
Dark Shadows is directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by Seth Grahame-Smith. In July 2007, Warner Bros. acquired film rights for the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows from the estate of its creator Dan Curtis. Actor Johnny Depp stars in the film. The project’s development was delayed by the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike. After the strike was resolved, Tim Burton was attached to direct the film. By 2009, screenwriterJohn August was writing a screenplay for Dark Shadows. In 2010, author and screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith replaced August in writing the screenplay. August, did, however, receive story credit with Smith for his contribution to the film. Filming began in May 2011. It is being filmed entirely in England, at both Pinewood Studios and on location. It is scheduled for release in May 2012.
Additional crew members and Burton regulars are production designer Rick Heinrichs, costume designer Colleen Atwood, editor Chris Lebenzon and composer Danny Elfman. French cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel — known for his work in Amélie, A Very Long Engagement and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince — has been hired for the project.
|Directed by||Tim Burton|
|Produced by||Graham King
Richard D. Zanuck
|Screenplay by||Seth Grahame-Smith|
|Story by||John August
|Based on||Dark Shadows by
Helena Bonham Carter
Jackie Earle Haley
Jonny Lee Miller
Chloë Grace Moretz
|Music by||Danny Elfman|
|Editing by||Chris Lebenzon|
|Studio||Village Roadshow Pictures
The Zanuck Company
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Release date(s)||May 11, 2012|
- See the First Snippets of Tim Burton’s ‘Dark Shadows’ (slashfilm.com)
- DARK SHADOWS In theaters and IMAX on May 11 (cinemaic.wordpress.com)
- Dark Shadows’ Original Barnabas Collins, Jonathan Frid, Passes Away (tor.com)
- Johnny Depp Vamps Out in Latest Dark Shadows Imagery (dreadcentral.com)
- A ‘Dark Shadows’ Mega Post! (cryptleatherblog.com)
- William J. Mann: The Greatest Vampire Of Them All: Jonathan Frid (1924-2012) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Latest Dark Shadows TV Spot Asks What You Know About Barnabas Collins (dreadcentral.com)
- “Dark Shadows” star Jonathan Frid Dead at 87 (chiefwritingwolf.com)
- Tim Burton’s “Dark Shadows” Movie Finally Has a Trailer (comicbooked.com)
Filed under: Comedy, Fun & Games, Joy & Happiness, Movie Reviews, News, Videos Tagged: | Barnabas, Barnabas Collins, Collinsport, Gulliver McGrath, Johnny Depp, Julia Hoffman, Michelle Pfeiffer, Thomas McDonell