By Jueseppi B.
The White House announced Thursday that it will close two loopholes on gun sales by requiring background checks for gun purchases by corporations and trusts and banning almost all re-imports of military surplus firearms to private entities.
Vice President Biden outlined the new policies during a swearing-in ceremony Thursday for B. Todd Jones, the new director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The measures are far less sweeping than a gun-control package the administration tried to push through Congress in the wake of December’s Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting. But Biden said the actions show that he and Obama were “going to continue to do everything we can within our executive authority to try to reduce gun violence in America.”
One measure would close a loophole under which felons, those convicted of domestic violence and others banned from having guns can evade required background checks by registering the gun to a trust or corporation. The ATF said it received more than 39,000 requests last year for transfers of restricted firearms to trusts or corporations.
Under the new rule, individuals associated with trusts or corporations will now have to undergo a background check in the same way they would if they were buying the guns as individuals.
The other measure will end a government practice that allowed military weapons sold or donated to allies by the federal government to be brought back into the United States by private groups. The White House said the United States has approved the re-importation of 250,000 such guns since 2005; under the new policy, only museums and a few other groups such as the government will be allowed to re-import the weapons.
Mark Barnes, a national firearms lawyer based in the District, said restricting such imports makes no sense because they were destined for curio collectors. Barnes represents Century Arms, which has spent two years seeking a permit to re-import nearly 80,000 World War II-era M1 Garand rifles from South Korea.
“We are talking about a firearm that is not an assault weapon,” Barnes said. “What is the point of preventing the lawful and responsible citizen from accessing a collectible?”
NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said in a statement that “the Obama administration has once again completely missed the mark when it comes to stopping violent crime.”
“Requiring background checks for corporations and trusts does not keep firearms out of the hands of criminals,” he said. “Prohibiting the re-importation of firearms into the U.S. that were manufactured 50 or more years ago does not keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. This administration should get serious about prosecuting violent criminals who misuse guns and stop focusing its efforts on law-abiding gun owners.”
But Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a group that supports further restrictions on gun sales, welcomed the move.
“Like so many things about our gun policy, it is almost ridiculous to think that these steps were necessary,” the group said in a statement. “It is common sense to prevent felons from so easily circumventing background checks, and we should not allow private entities to purchase military-grade assault weapons any more than we should allow them to buy tanks.”
Vice President Biden Swears in B. Todd Jones
August 29, 2013 | 8:50 |Public Domain
Vice President Biden swears in B. Todd Jones as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and announces new Executive Actions to reduce gun violence.
FACT SHEET: New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence
Today, the Obama administration announced two new common-sense executive actions to keep the most dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands and ban almost all re-imports of military surplus firearms to private entities. These executive actions build on the 23 executive actions that the Vice President recommended as part of the comprehensive gun violence reduction plan and the President unveiled on January 16, 2013.
Even as Congress fails to act on common-sense proposals, like expanding criminal background checks and making gun trafficking a federal crime, the President and Vice President remain committed to using all the tools in their power to make progress toward reducing gun violence.
Building on the 23 Executive Actions the President and Vice President Unveiled Last January
- Last December, the President asked the Vice President to develop a series of recommendations to reduce gun violence. On January 16, 2013, they released these proposals, including 23 executive actions. With the first Senate confirmation of an ATF Director on July 31, 2013, the Administration has completed or made significant progress on 22 of the 23 executive actions. The new executive actions unveiled today build on this successful effort.
Closing a Loophole to Keep Some of the Most Dangerous Guns Out of the Wrong Hands
- Current law places special restrictions on many of the most dangerous weapons, such as machine guns and short-barreled shotguns. These weapons must be registered, and in order to lawfully possess them, a prospective buyer must undergo a fingerprint-based background check.
- However, felons, domestic abusers, and others prohibited from having guns can easily evade the required background check and gain access to machine guns or other particularly dangerous weapons by registering the weapon to a trust or corporation. At present, when the weapon is registered to a trust or corporation, no background check is run. ATF reports that last year alone, it received more than 39,000 requests for transfers of these restricted firearms to trusts or corporations.
- Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole. The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually. By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands.
Keeping Surplus Military Weapons Off Our Streets
- When the United States provides military firearms to its allies, either as direct commercial sales or through the foreign military sales or military assistance programs, those firearms may not be imported back into the United States without U.S. government approval. Since 2005, the U.S. Government has authorized requests to reimport more than 250,000 of these firearms.
- Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.
SUCK THAT NRAssholes!!!!
Filed under: "BARACK" The Vote, 2014 Mid Term Elections, Barack's Blog, Breaking News, Business, Campaign Ads, Causes, Congress, Court Room/Legal, Crime, Education, Event, Good News, Gun Control, Gun Violence, Health, Information & Links, News, NRA, Photographs, Politics, POTUS Obama, Stories, The White House, Trayvon Benjamin Martin, Vice President Joseph Biden, Videos, White House Blog, World News Tagged: | B. Todd Jones, Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives, Gun control, Gun Reform, Gun Sales Laws, Mark Barnes, NRA, Obama, Todd Jones, United States, White House, Whiye House Gun Control