In Case You Missed It: Fort Hood Memorial Service. LBJ Library Civil Rights Summit.

By Jueseppi B.

Untitled

Memorial Service at Fort Hood – April 9th 2014

eb870f8ff3b3dd0d500f6a7067004e84

c93896eff3c0dd0d500f6a7067008fb4

93ec5f05f3c4dd0d500f6a706700c307

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama board Air Force One

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama board Air Force One

President Obama at Fort Hood: “It Is Love, Tested by Tragedy, That Brings Us Together Again.”

Today, the President and First Lady traveled to Killeen, Texas to attend a memorial ceremony at the Fort Hood Military Base, remembering those who lost their lives in last week’s tragic shooting at the base.

During his remarks at the memorial, the President explained that we must honor their lives “not in word or talk, but in deed and in truth.”

We must honor these men with a renewed commitment to keep our troops safe, not just in battle but on the home front, as well. In our open society, and at vast bases like this, we can never eliminate every risk. But as a nation, we can do more to help counsel those with mental health issues, to keep firearms out of the hands of those who are having such deep difficulties. As a military, we must continue to do everything in our power to secure our facilities and spare others this pain.

We must honor these men by doing more to care for our fellow Americans living with mental illness, civilian and military. Today, four American soldiers are gone. Four Army families are devastated. As Commander-in-Chief, I’m determined that we will continue to step up our efforts — to reach our troops and veterans who are hurting, to deliver to them the care that they need, and to make sure we never stigmatize those who have the courage to seek help.

And finally, we must honor these men by recognizing that they were members of a generation that has borne the burden of our security in more than a decade of war. Now our troops are coming home, and by the end of this year our war in Afghanistan will finally be over.

Read the President’s full remarks here.

1Untitled

President Obama Speaks at a Memorial Service for Victims of the Shooting at Fort Hood

Published on Apr 9, 2014

President Obama says that we must honor the lives of those killed in the tragedy at Fort Hood “not in word or talk, but in deed and in truth.” April 9, 2014.

11Untitled

pbo0

pbo02

Obama Fort Hood

prayforfh26

prayforfh23

prayforfh24

President Obama accompanied by the First Lady lays a coin for each of the victims at Fort Hood

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama pay their respects at #FortHood to the three fallen soldiers.

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama arrive for a memorial service at Fort Hood.

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama pay their respects during a memorial service at #FortHood.

Bkz1OC5CYAAw_p1

prayforfh14

prayforfh13

pbo9

pbo8

pbo7

00000000000000000bamacratbreak

Meeting of the President’s Interagency Task Force to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons

Published on Apr 9, 2014

The President’s Interagency Task Force to Monitor and Combat Trafficking, which was established to coordinate federal efforts to combat trafficking in persons, holds its annual meeting at the White House. April 8, 2014.

00000000000000000bamacratbreak

00Untitled

LBJ Library Civil Rights Summit – Day 1 – Morning Panels (12:30-4:00 pm CDT)

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

Time: Tuesday April 8, 2014 12:35pm – 1:40pm CST
Panel: Gay Marriage: A Civil Right?

Time: Tuesday April 8, 2014 1:40pm – 2:40pm
Panel: Pathway to the American Dream: Immigration Policy in the 21st Century

Time: Tuesday April 8, 2014 2:40pm – 4:00pm
Panel: Music and Social Consciousness

LBJ Library Civil Rights Summit – Day 1 – Evening Panel (6:00-7:30 pm CDT)

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

Time: Tuesday April 8, 2014 6:00pm – 7:30pm
Panel: Conversation with Former President Jimmy Carter

LBJ Library Civil Rights Summit – Day 2 – Morning Panels (12:30-4:00 pm CDT)

Streamed live on Apr 9, 2014

Time: Wednesday April 9, 2014 12:35pm – 1:40pm
Panel: LBJ and MLK: Fulfilling a Promise, Realizing a Dream

Time: Wednesday April 9, 2014 1:40pm – 2:40pm
Panel: Sports: Leveling the Playing Field

Time: Wednesday April 9, 2014 2:40pm – 4:00pm
Panel: Heroes of the Civil Rights Movement: Views from the Front Line

LBJ Library Civil Rights Summit – Day 2 – Evening Panel (6:00-7:30 pm CDT)

Streamed live on Apr 9, 2014

Time: Wednesday April 9, 2014 6:00pm – 7:30pm
Panel: Address by Former President William Jefferson Clinton

Legendary sports figures weigh in at Civil Rights Summit

Published on Apr 9, 2014

Two of the greatest athletes of all time who have both been fighting the fight for civil rights since the 60s spoke Wednesday at the Civil Rights Summit at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library.

LBJ Civil Rights Summit Google Hangout with President Jimmy Carter

Streamed live on Apr 8, 2014

Former U.S. President and humanitarian Jimmy Carter will answer questions about the Civil Rights Summit as well as his new book, A Call To Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power.

The public is encouraged to ask President Carter questions in advance on Google+ via https://plus.google.com/events/cadh8u…, or using #SummitHangout on Twitter or Facebook.

LBJ Civil Rights Summit

TexTrib-CivilRights-003_jpg_800x1000_q100

140407085556-14-civil-rights-horizontal-large-gallery

1392679521-still

276-10-WH64_web

LBJ_MLK

VotingRightsAct

Presidents-Obama-Clinton-Bush-and-Carter-to-Honor-Civil-Rights-Act-of-1964-at-50th-Anniversary-Summit-at-the-LBJ-Library

LBJ-Photo

cropped-b4peace-header

obamabottomheader

Enhanced by Zemanta
About these ads

9 Responses

1. The shooting, yet another tragedy. I wonder, how many more? The President says one thing, then Congress refuses to move no matter how many soldiers are on the street waiting for funding, no matter how many soldiers die needlessly, like this or through suicide. What a terrible waste.

The rest of the post, wonderful read and listening.

2. This is such a waste of life; it seems as if we are powerless to prevent anything. Mental illness goes hand-in-hand with these shootings.

I hope you are doing well.

• I am doing OK, just tired of doing these types of post. I wonder what the outcome would have been if the CO had given Lopez his leave like he requested, and not turned him down?

• A lot of the “office politics” that go on here, also occur in other areas to a different degree.

• I suppose so, sick of this happening to the degree it causes death.

• Good to see you, hope you are not over doing it and make yourself sick working as hard as you are working. I miss you, have a nice evening.

• Nah, I’ve been battling depression since losing my dog. Being so emotional puts me in a bad way; crying creates breathing issues to flare. I have an upper respiratory infection I’m working on now. I’m behind on several appointments: bloodwork, glasses, dentist and so on.

It’s the stupidest thing, yesterday I had not cried at all so I posted it in Facebook and started all over. Today I started eating a bowl of strawberries and since Scout loved eating the caps I started boohooing again. My mother used to make fun of me as a kid, “Just look at her and she cries.” I met my executive director’s husband once and the poor man dropped dead of a heart attack at 51. All the office staff went so I had to go too. I was the only one that balled non-stop during the funeral. It’s embarrassing but I can’t stop. I could make a fortune as a paid mourner.

I’m planning to start tomorrow fresh and try to stay busy. There’s always work and I’m always behind. Now I have to brush my teeth and Scout’s electric toobrush is still on the sink next to mine. :)

• This is just a suggestion but it may be time to remove Scout’s things from the house. You can’t start to move past this grieving if you don’t remove Scout’s things, box ‘em up and store them.

I am thinking of you and sending you my strength. ;-)

Reply At Your Own Risk. Leave The Dumbfuckery At The Door.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 233,555 other followers