By Jueseppi B.
As many as 12 inured in shooting at New Orleans Mother’s Day parade
DEVELOPING: New Orleans police are searching for three suspects Sunday after at least 12 people were shot during a Mother’s Day parade.
Chief Serpas announced in a press conference that the youngest victim is believed to be a 10-year-old girl. Police say she suffered a graze wound, WVUE Fox 8 reported.
Police say about 300 were attending the traditional jazz band parade when shots were fired.
Serpas said that the procession had been accompanied by officers, who saw two or three suspects run from the scene in the city’s 7th Ward.
Nobody has been arrested. It’s unclear what sparked the gunfire.
Eleven patients have been admitted to Interim LSU Public Hospital with no life threatening injuries, hospital spokesperson Marvin McGraw said.
Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned and are sometimes described as moving block parties.
A social club called The Original Big 7 organized Sunday’s event.
No other information was immediately available.
Click for more from WVUE Fox 8.
12 people reported shot at New Orleans Mother’s Day parade
New Orleans police said at least 12 people were hurt after a shooting at a Mother’s Day parade, according to local media reports Sunday.
No deaths were immediately reported after the shooting, which hit a “second line” in the 7th Ward in east New Orleans.
The second line is a New Orleans tradition in which parade-goers typically follow a parade’s official participants. Hundreds of people were reportedly taking part and also watching the event.
A 10-year-old girl was grazed by a bullet,according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which had a reporter at the event. The newspaper’s site, NOLA.com, showed photos of two victims, one apparently shot in the calf, the other apparently shot in the shoulder.
Four people were in surgery after the shooting, which happened around 2 p.m. local time, the Times-Picayune reported.
New Orleans Police Department Supt. Ronal Serpas told the newspaper that three people, apparently working together, were seen running from the scene and that at least two different guns had been used.
The Gambit, a New Orleans publication, reported that one of its writers had been injured in the shooting.
Brother, 12, arrested in fatal stabbing of 8-year-old California girl
April 29, 2013: Calaveras County Sheriff’s deputies and volunteers stand watch at Jenny Lind Elementary School, after the murder of one it’s students over the weekend, in Valley Springs, Calif. (AP)
Authorities have arrested a 12-year-old boy in the fatal stabbing of his 8-year-old sister at her home in a quiet Northern California community last month.
Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz told reporters at a news conference that the boy was taken into custody Saturday afternoon and will be charged with homicide, Fox40.com reported.
“Citizens of Calaveras County can sleep a little better tonight,” Kuntz said.
The April 27 attack shook the tightknit Valley Springs community of about 7,400 people and set off a massive manhunt. The boy had told police that he encountered an intruder in the home and described the man as being tall with long gray hair.
Investigators did a door-to-door sweep of houses, storage sheds and horse stables scattered across oak-studded hills. Divers also searched two nearby reservoirs in search of clues.
As part of the investigation, authorities seized several knives from the home Leila shared with her father, stepmother and siblings to determine if one could have inflicted the fatal wounds.
A neighbor who told detectives she saw a man flee the Fowler home later recanted the story and was discredited by police.
Several days after the killing, hundreds of people gathered at Jenny Lind Elementary School where Leila was a popular 3rd grader.
Her mother, Krystal Walters, tearfully thanked the crowd for the support. “It will never be forgotten,” she said.
Police did not release any further details about the case at Saturday’s press conference, but noted that the investigation is still ongoing, according to the Fox40.com report.
Several days after the killing, hundreds of people gathered at Jenny Lind Elementary School where Leila was a popular 3rd grader. Her mother, Krystal Walters, tearfully thanked the crowd for the support.
“I just want to thank the entire community and all of our family and friends for all the overwhelming amount of support you’ve given our family,” Walters said at the time. “It will never be forgotten. Thank you.”
Click here for more from Fox40.com.
The 12-year-old brother of Leila Fowler, shown in a screen grab from video, was arrested Saturday on murder charges in her death.
By Becky Bratu, Staff Writer, NBC News
The 12-year-old brother of a California girl found stabbed to death in their home last month was arrested Saturday, authorities said.
Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz told reporters that Leila Fowler’s brother, who had said that an intruder killed her, was taken into custody after a two-week investigation. Kuntz said the boy would be charged with homicide, NBC station KCRA of Sacramento reported.
The 8-year-old girl and her brother were home alone on the afternoon of April 27 at their Valley Springs home when she was killed, KCRA reported, citing school district superintendent Mark Campbell, who met with the parents. The parents were at a Little League game in the small town at the time of the attack, Campbell said.
Officials said at first that Fowler’s brother told them he had found her body and described her killer as a tall man with long gray hair. The county coroner told KCRA that Fowler died of shock and hemorrhaging caused by multiple stab wounds.
Authorities searched the home and neighborhood, while dive teams searched two reservoirs near the house. A neighbor who told authorities a man ran from the home was discredited, KCRA reported. Investigators have said there was no sign of a burglary or robbery.
Her death and her brother’s account of a murderous intruder put the town of about 7,400 on edge.
“Nobody is staying alone,” parent James Barci told KCRA in April.
Barci, a truck driver, who is a volunteer at Jenny Lind Elementary School, where Leila was a popular third-grader, added: “I told my work I’m not coming in, and I’m just going to have all of my kids’ friends at the house until this is over.”
And Sheriff Kuntz said then: “We will not rest until we capture the responsible person.”
In a statement issued Saturday, Kuntz did not reveal what evidence led to the arrest.
But NBCBayArea.com reported that he said at the news conference: “Citizens of Calaveras County can sleep a little better tonight.”
Teacher Cecilia Richardson helps a student tie a ribbon honoring third-grader Leila Fowler, at Jenny Lind Elementary School in Valley Springs, Calif., on April 29.
People react during a hostage situation in Trenton, New Jersey, May 11, 2013. A gunman suspected of killing his wife was barricaded with two or three of his children inside a Trenton house in an armed standoff with police.
By Matthew DeLuca and Hasani Gittens, NBC News
Three children are safe after a 36-hour standoff with an armed man in Trenton, New Jersey ended early Sunday, state law enforcement officials said.
But the bodies of a woman, presumed to be home owner Carmelita Stevens, 44 — the mother of the children — and a young boy, presumed to be her 13-year-old son, were found decomposing in the home, police revealed at a Sunday morning press conference.
The freed children, a 4-year-old boy, and 16- and 18-year-old girls, were being treated at a local hospital.
The hostage taker, identified as Gerald “Skip” Murphy, 38, was also killed during the rescue, officials said. He was not believed to have been related to any of the children.
Lt. Steve Varn of Trenton Police said the hostage situation ended shortly before 5 a.m. ET, adding that the area around the home where it took place is now secure.
Police were alerted to the situation on Grand Street in Trenton at 2:47 pm on Friday, officials said.
Cops had received a call from a relative of Stevens, saying she hadn’t been seen for a “long period of time” and that her two daughters had not been in school for 12 days, said Mercer County Prosecutor Joseph L. Bocchini Jr. at the Sunday morning press conference.
When officers arrived at the Stevens home, they didn’t get a response when they knocked on the door, so made a forced entry through a rear door, Bocchini said. When they entered the residence, they immediately smelled the stench of a rotting corpse, and could see maggots.
Upstairs, they found Murphy had barricaded himself inside the house with “multiple” hostages, saying he had a gun and explosives.
When police officers secured the rest of the premises, they discovered a 19-year-old man in the basement, also Stevens’ son, who said he hadn’t seen his mothers or sisters since mid April.
Homes in the surrounding area were also evacuated as a precautionary measure as hostage negotiators spent nearly two days communicating with Murphy, officials said. Food and bottled water was passed through an upstairs window for the children.
But, noting what NJ State Police Col. Rick Fuentes called Murphy’s “deteriorating state of mind,” officers eventually made an entry into the room where the hostages were being held, and a single shot was fired at the suspect as he made a violent move toward one of the children.
Murphy, who had warrants for not registering as a sex offender, and a rap sheet that included assault, robbery, weapons and child endangerment charges, was taken to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Officials said it was too early to determine exactly when Stevens and the young boy had been killed, but said that they were in a state of decomposition.
Trenton police were supported by state police and FBI as well as the city’s arson and bomb and canine units, Varn said.
NBC News’ Justin Kirschner and Alastair Jamieson contributed to this report.
Thank you NBCNewsUS.
Riders on horseback search culverts and drainage ditches along Kansas Highway 68 for 18-month-old Lana-Leigh Bailey, Friday.
By The Associated Press
Franklin County Sheriff Jeff Richards said early Sunday that remains believed to be those of Lana Leigh Bailey — who had been presumed dead — were found Saturday in Osage County in eastern Kansas.
“It is with great sadness that I report a body found in Osage County, Kansas, is believed to be the remains of 18-month-old Lana Bailey,” Richards said in a statement he emailed to The Associated Press.
He said the body was found by an Osage County sheriff’s deputy who was scouring an area for items that could be connected to the deaths reported at the farmhouse May 6 in nearby Franklin County. The evidence collected Saturday when the body was found led investigators to believe it was the infant’s body, his statement said.
“We hope that a forensic examination will make a final identification,” Richards added.
Richards told The AP by telephone that he would not have additional information beyond his statement early Sunday.
The search crews had been using boats and sonar equipment but Richards did not say in his statement exactly where the body was found. Earlier authorities had said investigators were scouring ponds and other waterways in the area looking for the body of Lana Leigh Bailey.
Kyle Flack was charged Friday with capital murder in the deaths of Lana Bailey, her 21-year-old mother, Kaylie Bailey, and 30-year-old Andrew Stout. The 27-year-old convicted felon was also charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder in their deaths as well as the death of 31-year-old Steven White.
The investigation has included searching the farm and other rural areas in the 50-mile stretch between Ottawa and Emporia, where Kaylie Bailey’s car was found Tuesday.
Franklin County Attorney Stephen Hunting said Friday that a firearm was used against the victims recovered at the farm, but didn’t elaborate on whether that meant they were fatally shot. Authorities have not commented on a motive.
Richards said previously that the extensive investigation has taken a toll and that members of the investigative team have required medical attention after searching in difficult areas. Others have sought counsel from a chaplain.
Related: Kansas man arrested, suspected of murdering three or four people
This story was originally published on Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 AM EDT
A search by air and sea is underway for a man, 30, and woman, 27, who can be seen in surveillance video falling from the Carnival Spirit’s deck Wednesday night. Their disappearance was discovered when the ship docked in Sydney Harbor. NBC’s Keir Simmons reports.
By Ian Johnston, Staff Writer, NBC News
Two passengers went overboard while a Carnival cruise ship was sailing off the east coast of Australia, officials said on Thursday.
A vast area of sea was being scoured by aircraft and boats in an attempt to find the missing 30-year-old man and 26-year-old woman.
They were reported missing when the Carnival Spirit docked at Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal at 11:30 a.m. Thursday local time (9:30 p.m. Wednesday ET) after 10 days at sea, New South Wales Police said in a statement.
William West / AFP – Getty Images: Two police officers check for fingerprints on the balcony of the cabin of the two passengers who went overboard.
They had been traveling with family and friends, according to the cruise ship firm.
Police said surveillance camera footage determined the two missing people went overboard at about 8:50 p.m. Wednesday local time (6:50 a.m. ET Wednesday), more than 14 hours before the alarm was raised.
“Officers are investigating the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of the pair and, in these early stages, are focused on the search efforts,” the police statement said.
Police said a “thorough search” was made of the ship after staff contacted officers. Police then looked through the surveillance camera footage and established that the missing people had gone overboard.
New South Wales Police Superintendent Mark Hutchings told reporters that investigators were having the video enhanced in a bid to determine whether the couple had jumped or had fallen by accident, according to The Associated Press. No life preservers were missing, he added.
The incident is not considered suspicious, according to The Austrailian.
“This is a tragic event at the moment, but we’re holding out hope we might be able to find these people alive,” Hutchings added.
Police aircraft and boats were involved the search and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority also sent a plane to look for them.
A spokeswoman for the authority said they were searching an area of 120 square nautical miles. “People can survive in the water for quite some time,” she added.
The couple had been among 2,680 passengers on a South Pacific cruise.
Peter Taylor, spokesman for the ship’s operator, Carnival Cruise Lines, said in a statement on Thursday that “the guests in question were traveling with family and friends, and initial reports indicated that the couple was last seen on board the vessel last night,” the AP reported.
“The ship immediately initiated standard missing person procedures, including a full search of the vessel, as per protocol,” he added.
Carnival Cruise Lines is a subsidiary of Miami-based Carnival Corp., the world’s largest cruise operator, the AP said.
Filed under: Bad News, Breaking News, Causes, Court Room/Legal, Crime, Education, Event, Gun Control, Gun Violence, Information & Links, Missing Children, Missing Person, News, Photographs, Stories, World News | Tagged: 7th Ward of New Orleans, Associated Press, Breaking News, California, Carnival Cruise Lines, Mother's Day, New Orleans, New Orleans Police Department, superintendent, Times-Picayune | 9 Comments »